Whenever Windows 10 comes across any glitch, the best way to configure it back into the operation is its ‘reset’ option. It restores the windows to the default. Although there is always an option to reinstall the windows, the choice to reset the windows is the most friendly option because of its quick and easy troubleshooting. But there is one error which appears while you reset the windows, it reads ‘There was a problem resetting your PC’ on screen and it doesn’t let the windows avail after the restart.
Conditions That May Cause This Error
Below is the list of possible reasons due to which the reset operation shows “There was a problem resetting your PC” on your screen :
1) You have a PC in which Windows 10 was pre-installed instead of an upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.
2) Your PC has a disc which functions on compression as to reduce the space which is used to preinstalled software.
3) You opted for “Create a recovery drive” feature while creating a USB recovery drive in Windows 10.
Solution 1: Run Startup/Automatic Repair
- Insert the Windows boot-up CD and click restart.
- Press any key for the next step when it prompts to press any key to boot from CD/DVD.
- When asked for language preferences, select yours and click Repair your computer.
- Click Troubleshoot when it asked to choose an option on the screen
- Select Advanced option on troubleshoot screen.
- You will see the advanced options on your screen now, click on Automatic repair or Startup repair.
- Let the Windows Automatic/Startup Repairs complete.
- You will probably succeed in fixing There was a problem resetting your PC error. In case, you fail then continue to next method.
Solution 2: Fix Boot Image And Rebuild BCD
- Go back to the advanced options screen and click on Command prompt.
- Click enter after typing each of the following commands one by one :
a) bootrec.exe /FixMbr
b) bootrec.exe /FixBoot
c) bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
- If these commands don’t continue then try entering these commands in cmd :
- bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
- cd boot
- attrib bcd -s -h -r
- ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
- bootrec /RebuildBcd
- Once you have entered the commands, click restart and exit the windows.
- Check if There was a problem resetting your PC error is resolved. If not then continue.
Solution 3: Run System File Checker (SFC) And Check Disk (CHKDSK)
- With the same method given above, click open command prompt.
- Hit enter the following commands in cmd :
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ offwindir=c:\windows
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
Note: To perform the commands, you must have the drive letter where the windows is installed. Command C has the drive where we want to run check the disk.
- Exit the command prompt and restart your PC.
Solution 4: Perform A System Restore
- To perform this method, firstly put the recovery drive/SRD (System Repair Disc) or Windows installation media, then click next.
- Hit on the Repair your computer option showing at the bottom.
- Click on Troubleshoot and then choose Advanced options.
- At last, click open the System restore. Now you will see the instructions on the screen, follow them to complete the restore.
- Restart your PC to remove the There was a problem resetting your PC error.
Solution 5: Rename the System And Software Registry Hives
- Go to the Advanced options screen and click on Command Prompt.
- Enter the following command into cmd :
ren system system.001
ren software software.001
- Then close the cmd, it will open the Windows Recovery Environment screen.
- Click on select Continue which will boot to the windows, and on the completion of reboot, There was a problem resetting your PC error will be fixed.
Solution 6: Recover From Drive
Note: Before continuing this method, you must acknowledge that it might erase all the data. Be sure before you begin with the steps.
- Connect your USB recovery drive and restart your PC.
- Press any key to to continue when it prompts to boot from CD/DVD.
- Click Next after selecting your language preferences and click Repair.
- Click on Troubleshoot when the choose an option appear onscreen.
- Now click on Advanced options from troubleshoot screen.
- Select System Image Recovery from the Advanced options screen.
- For further steps, follow the instructions from the screen.
Solution 7: Recover Your PC Using Recovery USB
- Insert your USB recovery drive to the PC.
- Go to the Advanced options and click open the Command Prompt.
- You have to hit Enter by typing notepad into cmd.
- The screen will show options in the notepad, click on File and then select Open.
- Click on All files from next to File Name, then put your USB drive letter which is being used for boot in the Windows.
- Type the drive letter once you get it and press Enter.
- Then press enter after typing Setup.
- Once your Windows Installation setup is open, follow the instructions from the screen to reinstall or clean install the Windows.
Solution 8: Repair Install Windows 10
The ‘There was a problem resetting your PC error’ will most likely be resolved with the methods given above. If is has not, it might be due to the erase of operating system or BCD information. If that is the case, then you can try fixing with incorporating Repair Install Windows.
But if it still is not working, then your last remaining option is to Clean Install i.e., Install the new Windows.
These were the best ways possible to fix ‘There was a problem resetting your PC error’ that you can perform on your windows. If you have any query or if you are still struggling to troubleshoot this issue, kindly share it with us by writing in the comment section below.